Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Warriors. Soldiers. Friends.

I write this entry with mixed emotions. In light of what happened on Friday, my heavy heart wants nothing more than to shout from the rooftops my love and support for our dear friends who lost their loves. What a taxing weekend it has been, full of tears, sweet memories, and kick you in the gut grief. Friends who are now widows, babies that are now without a daddy, a community that is now dearly missing our warriors. How do you put into words the feelings in your heart, when you can't even wrap your head around the pain?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

"I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, and I'll do it together with his people. When they arrive at the gates of death, God welcomes those who love him." Psalm 116: 14-15

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tristan and I were walking in the Botanical Gardens when I got the news that no military wife ever wants to hear. "Your friend's love...is gone. He didn't make it...". I heard the words over the phone but couldn't process it. I fell to my knees, knowing the pain that gripped my soul was a thousand times worse for these woman, some of whom, hadn't even found out yet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

“The Lord is near to the broken-hearted, and saves the crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Imagine hearing your door bell ring, only to look out the side window and see uniformed men at your door. Unbearable. Emotionally, I was having a hard time getting past my own shock.

Chris was going to deploy with this group.

I felt unbelievably guilty talking to my friend, knowing my world hadn't just collapsed in on itself. Where is the "How to Be a Friend" manual for a grieving woman? What can you possibly say to even begin to express your gratitude for her sacrifices, and for his?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort." 2 Corinthians 1:3

Photobucket

Photobucket

I know many have questioned where God is when tragedies like these occur. The answer? He's weeping with us. None of this is lost on Him. Our pain, our hurt, our anguish, is all felt with Him, too. He is our source of comfort, as He too knows what the cost is to losing someone you love more than life itself.

Photobucket

To my sweet friend, you are loved. What a wonderful man he was, and now hero. You're my hero, too.

Photobucket

**********

And because of these men, I'm able to live a life in freedom in safety. Celebrating life, even in death, eases the soul. Here's a few things from this past week that brought a smile to my face.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

**********

Photobucket

If you'd like to help the families of the recent fallen Navy SEAL's, you can donate $10 to the Navy SEAL Foundation - which provides assistance to families who have lost loved ones in the NSW community - text the word SEAL to 90999 and a one-time $10charge will be added to your wireless bill.

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave..." --Patrick Henry--

Rest in peace, dear friends. We are so grateful for you.

Photobucket



2 comments:

  1. My heart hurts. The tears stop, then I remember again, and the tears return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, tears fall as I read this. I did not know any of these brave men and yet I feel sorrow and pain. I feel that because just as I did not know them, they knew their service could result in the ultimate sacrifce. sacrifice for millions of people they did not even know. Thank you for this post, it reminds me what a truly great country we live in and what courageous soldiers we have.

    Sarah Hines

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails